Bill and Jodi came to us as referrals from other clients. Bill was an elementary school teacher, and Jodi was self-employed. They hoped to retire in five years. Bill had been saving through much of his career into a 403(b). He also had his PERS and IAP accounts. Jodi’s business had been making regular contributions to her SEP-IRA. In retirement, they wanted to be able to visit their sons, who live out of the area, on a regular basis. They also wanted to explore the possibility of moving to a warmer and drier climate at retirement.
When working with clients in situations such as Bill and Jodi’s, we work together to identify and implement options such as:
- Reducing risk in tretirement accounts
- Continuing appropriate contributions to retirement account
- Identifying ways to save for the purchase of a retirement home so that they are not dependent on selling their current residence first
- Determining how best to take PERS as an income stream based on their income needs
- Reducing future tax bills by reducing the amount saved in retirement plans and increasing savings to taxable investments
- Exploring Pension Flexibility options
- Structuring retirement income so that cash is available to cover living expenses for the next three years no matter what happened in the market
- Identifying how much of a new retirement home they could afford
This case study is hypothetical. It does not reflect a specific client or situation. An individual client’s circumstances and results will vary. This case study is presented only as an example and is not intended as investment advice.